WynyardMunicipal Concert Band
Copyright 2010 Wynyard Municipal Concert Band Inc.
PO Box 75
Wynyard, TAS 7325
Website design by Julian Varney
The Wynyard Municipal Concert Band has existed in one form or another since the last
decade of the 19th century.
Reference is made in the Wellington Times of July 6th 1895 to “a brilliant gathering ---- at
the plain and fancy dress ball ---in aid of the funds of the Wynyard Brass Band --- it was
anticipated that the net proceeds would be 15 pounds.” The most favourable reports of the
band’s performance suggest the players had been together for some time prior to 1895!
In 1912 the band became known as the Wynyard and Somerset Public Brass Band but soon
reverted to its original name.
In 1926 the band had 29 players under the direction of bandmaster Bill Dowling. Band
membership ensured voting rights and admission to the Grand Invitation Concert. The
band performed at the Yolla Sports Day and held a concert in the Princess Theatre.
By the 1930’s the “Great Depression” was adversely affecting the fortunes of the band. In
financial trouble, the band used what money it had and asked Council for a 10 pounds
donation but inevitably found itself in an untenable financial situation. At the AGM of 1931
it was moved that the band go into recess for 3 months. The “recess” lasted much longer
than the anticipated time because of the extended effects of the depression & World War II.
It was 1954 before the band was reformed. From 1934 the band’s instruments were on loan
to the Burnie Marine Board Band.
The band was reformed as the Wynyard Municipal Band in 1954 with Syd Bock as the
bandmaster and Geoff Littler as the secretary.
The band grew to the extent that in 1961 the members started a building fund to construct
their “own” bandroom on land leased from Council. The fund was started with 20 pounds
from the general account. Council was asked for land on a 99 year lease.
Leon Thomas was appointed bandmaster in 1961, but on his transfer from Wynyard in
1962 Syd Bock resumed the band’s musical directorship.
Geoff Duniam was appointed Bandmaster in 1964. On the 5th March 1966 the first working
bee was held to dig the foundations for the bandroom. Ernie Johnson was appointed Clerk
of Works and with the aid of much voluntary labour the building was completed eighteen
In 1968 the Council continued its strong support of the band by purchasing a complete set
of new low pitch instruments for its use.
Click to enlarge
This web site was created by the Wynyard Municpal Band Inc. Last updated on the 20.05.2012 Should you have any comments or suggestions regarding the layout or
the content of these pages, please direct them to the Secretary via E-mail. You are directed to a disclaimer and a privacy statement in relation to this web site.